The Redding City Council voted Tuesday to eliminate several electric fees in order to reduce the burden on their low-income customers.
The following fees have been eliminated, as recommended by the REU (Redding Electric Utility):
- The $50 Service Reconnection Fee (for disconnects due to non-payment)
- The $89 Service Reconnection Fee for after 4:00 p.m. (for disconnects due to non-payment)
- The $25 Service Transfer Fee
- The $89 Priority Service Connection after 4:00 p.m.
REU says the old fees hadn't changed since 2011. They conducted a review and determined that providing these services does not create a significant additional cost burden on the utility.
The staff believes the elimination of the fees are in the best interest of the community and will reduce the burden on those citizens who are low-income. They are the population most often facing re-connection fees for non-payment of their electric bills, and are the least able to afford them.
- REU: Redding eliminates reconnection fees
- 550 REU Customers Still Without Power in Redding
- REU Expands its New Discount Program
- More than 13,000 REU customers without power
- REU lower rates could save customers almost $200,000 a year
- REU restores power to South Creek Church area
- City of Redding Releases fee Schedule for Commercial Cannabis Businesses
- Redding City Council Approves fee Schedule for Retail Cannabis Businesses
- Subaru Covers Pet Adoption Fees
- Chico State Eliminating Use of Plastic Straws