A Cottonwood man is in jail following several reports of sexually assaulting juveniles he know from a local dirt bike racing track, the Tehama County Sheriff's Office reported Tuesday.
49-year-old Scott McLaughlin is being held on $5 Million dollars bail after sheriff's deputies said they received reports he sexually abused several Tehama County juveniles. During the investigation, it was learned some of the assaults may have occurred in the Marysville area.
According to investigators, McLaughlin became friendly with several minors involved in dirt bike racing. He then would entice them to his residence in the Cottonwood area for sleepovers and target shooting. Deputies also said McLaughlin would provide marijuana and alcohol to the minors prior to and during his sexual assault of them.
During the course of the investigation, it was learned that the suspect threatened to kill the minors if they came forward and reported the abuse.
On Monday, Tehama County Sheriff’s Detectives served an arrest warrant on McLaughlin, where he was taken into custody. Deputies also said they found a number of guns during the search warrant.
McLaughlin was booked at the Tehama County Jail and is being held on felony counts of sodomy with force, two counts of assault with the intent to commit rape, child cruelty, attempts to prevent victim from reporting and lewd and lecivous acts with a child
- Cottonwood man accused of sexually assaulting children, threatening to kill victims
- Cottonwood Man Threatens to Kill Sister, Attacks Her: TCSO
- Victim Identified in Cottonwood Housefire
- Cottonwood children’s garden for healthy living
- Victim identified in Cottonwood DUI crash
- Redding man arrested for assaulting, threatening officers
- Cottonwood man shot after starting a fight
- Former UC Davis conductor accused of sexual assault
- Free Wine Tasting Comes to Cottonwood
- Cottonwood Arsonist Meeting Leaves Some With Questions