Four people were shot to death at a residence in Grantsville, Utah, according to police.
A fifth person also was shot Friday night and is in the hospital. The suspected shooter is in custody.
Investigators are confident there was only one shooter and there is no further danger to the community, said police Cpl. Rhonda Fields.
Fields could not immediately release the ages or names of the victims or suspect. She would not say whether any of those involved were related to each other. Fields says they are still working to notify the family members of the victims.
Gov. Gary Herbert tweeted his condolences to the victims' families. "Our hearts are broken by the horrible news coming out of Grantsville tonight," he said. "We mourn over the loss of innocent lives."
Grantsville, a town of about 11,000 people, is about 35 miles southwest of Salt Lake City in Tooele County.
- 4 killed, 1 wounded in Utah shooting
- Utah Firefighter killed while battling Mendocino Complex
- Mayor of Utah City Killed During an Attack in Afghanistan
- 5 wounded in apparent gang-related shooting in South LA
- 7 People Wounded in Shooting at a Nightclub in Riverside
- Suspect Wounded During Officer-Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Chico police still searching for shooting suspect that wounded 2
- Yuba City man arrested, 2 wounded in homeless camp shooting
- 1 dead, 7 wounded in downtown Seattle shooting
- Manhunt for Utah man that shot police