CHICO - Chico police say they've arrested a thief and the bike he went after was worth nearly $3,000.
Two bikes were stolen on February 2 from “A-Main Cycling” on East 20th Street.
On February 4, 31-year-old Michael Borden was spotted by police with one of the bikes matching the description of the one stolen.
The day before, Borden tried registering the bike's serial number under his name.
Police tried arresting him on Friday, but he was able to get away.
That was until they arrested him on Sunday near 20th Street Park.
Sergeant Dane Gregory said it's a good reminder to take steps to protect your bike should it get stolen.
"For your records, it's probably a good idea to keep a bill of sale, document your serial number as it appears on your bicycle, maybe have some photographs of your bike some relatively current photographs as well,” Gregory said.
Borden was arrested for possession of stolen property and fraud for trying to register the bike in his name.
He’s been booked into Butte County Jail.
Chico police say they haven't found that other missing bike.
- $3,000 bike theft, man arrested after running from Chico police
- Chico Police Arrest Man for Auto-Theft
- Chico Man Arrested for Theft and Drugs
- Chico Police Hit and Run Arrest
- Chico Police: Man arrested in DUI hit & run
- Armed bike robber flees from Chico police
- 6 arrested after Chico theft enforcement operation
- Chico Police Arrest Two in Attempted RV Theft
- Chico Police: Car thefts, break-ins down
- Chico Police: Man Arrested for Stabbing Neighbor