BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Alyssa Nolan was never a builder or an architect. She was a mother of three with a fulltime job who lost her Concow home to the Butte Lightning Complex fires in 2008.
Nolan said the community stepped in to help her and her newborn baby at that time. After the Camp Fire broke out, she was determined to make a difference.
Nolan started raising money and studying tiny homes. Using ingenuity, donations and gifted building supplies, she built her first tiny home.
She gifts the homes that are built to those in need. This includes Camp Fire survivors those who are homeless, couch surfing and living in shelters.
"They're living in their cars and still living in tents," she said. "FEMA is not doing what I think everybody thinks they were going to do and I feel like we could get together and fill the gap."
Nolan says she couldn't do this without all the help she has received including help with building, donations and supplies.
"When people come out and volunteer sometimes it makes me cry because we're getting it done," she said. "We're doing something that they weren't doing before and we're giving a home to someone. It's a big deal."
She said that the project is looking to house at least 10 families so far.
"We can't house everyone, but we're still making a difference for some people," Nolan said.
While it costs Nolan $5,000 to build each home, fire survivors will get it for free. And homeowners will be able to decide where to put them.
To find out how to get involved, she asks that you send her a Facebook message.
- 2008 fire survivor brings tiny homes to those impacted by Camp Fire
- Camp Fire survivor RV fire
- Camp Fire survivor, son are first to move into tiny home
- Concow woman, daughter move into tiny home after Camp Fire
- Camp Fire survivor turns 100
- Camp Fire survivors receive mattresses
- Salvation Army Brings Christmas to Camp Fire Survivors
- Operation Warmth brings resources to Camp Fire survivors
- Some Pet Survivors of Camp Fire Get New Homes
- Erin Brockovich Meets with Camp Fire Survivors