UPDATE 3:24 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019 - A Redding murder suspect had his first preliminary hearing on Tuesday, Oct. 1.
Prosecutors said Christopher Mchatton killed Steven Johnson and hid his body at a home on Bechelli Lane back on July 23, 2019, Shasta County District Attorney's Office said.
Mchatton's mother Kathleen is charged with being an accessory after the fact. Mchatton will appear in court on Oct. 15 for a trial date to be set.
REDDING, Calif. - Two people have been charged in connection to a homicide on Bechelli Lane on July 23, 2019.
Christopher Mchatton and Kathleen Mchatton were charged Thursday in connection to the murder of Steven Michael Johnson.
Police received a call around 5:24 p.m. on July 23, regarding a person who was injured and in need of help.
When officers arrived at the home they found a man dead that had visible signs that he was a victim of violence.
The Shasta County District Attorney's office announced the charges against Christopher and Kathleen on Friday, Aug. 9.
Christopher was charged with murder and will appear in court on Aug. 12.
Kathleen is charged with being an accessory after the fact.
- Shasta County DA: First preliminary hearing for Bechelli Lane murder suspect
- Suspicious device found near mailbox on Bechelli Lane in Redding
- Authorities identify man found dead in home on Bechelli Lane
- Shasta County DA addresses phone scams
- Shingletown Man Flips Car at Bechelli Lane and Charged with DUI: Police
- Preliminary hearing for men charged with Oakland warehouse fire
- Shasta County DA files additional criminal charges against Redding doctor
- Shasta County DA: Kidnapping convict sentenced to 11 years
- Shasta County DA says officer-involved shooting justified
- Manhunt underway for suspected murderer of former DA's son