UPDATE 10:19 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018 - One officer was killed and another was injured following a shootout in Rancho Cordova on Sept. 18.
Deputies responded to a call of a dispute between a man and an employee at a Pep Boy's auto shop.
When deputies arrived, a suspect opened fire, hitting and killing 27-year-old deputy Mark Stasyuk. The suspect also hit another deputy in the arm and wounded a nearby bystander.
The gunman was also hit by returned gunfire.
All three people injured are expected to survive.
"It's an incredible hole that never quite gets filled in the hearts of our department but it's also the community that's suffered because the city of Rancho Cordova, and in fact, the entire county, has suffered a loss as well," said Scott Jones, sheriff for the Sacramento Police Department.
This is the second time in a little over a year aSacramentoo county deputy has been killed in the line of duty.
Stasyuk was a four-year veteran of the department.
RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif. - Two police officers were shot today in Sacramento County after responding to a call for service.
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Office said that the incident occurred in the area of Folsom Boulevard and Olsen Drive at around 2 p.m.
Four people were taken to the hospital according to the Sacramento Metro Fire. The conditions of those people, as well as the officers, are unknown.
KCRA is reporting that there is a suspect in custody.
Stay with KHSL Channel 12 and actionnewsnow.com for the latest updates as they become available.
UPDATE re: Folsom Blvd incident. PIO On scene. Media staging at southwest corner of Folsom Blvd/Olson Drive in business p-lot
— Sacramento Sheriff (@sacsheriff) September 17, 2018
- 1 Officer Killed, 1 Injured in Sacramento Shootout
- 1 dog killed 1 injured after an officer-involved shooting
- Body Found In Sacramento River Identified
- Sacramento DA: 'Golden State Killer' Arrested
- Suspected ISIS Soldier Arrested in Sacramento
- Butte County District Attorney Says Fatal Officer-Involved Shootout Was Justified
- 1 Police Officer Killed, 6 Others Injured in South Carolina Shooting
- Walmart shooting suspects are from Sacramento, police say
- Sacramento gang crackdown brings 29 arrests, 211 seized guns
- Redding adds new patrols to enhance Sacramento River Trail safety