CARACAS, Venezuela - At least 17 people suffocated to death at a party at a Caracas club early on Saturday morning, when a person activated a tear gas device inside, Venezuela's interior minister Nestor Reverol said.
Over 500 people were at the party at the Los Cotorros club in the middle-class Caracas neighborhood of El Paraiso when the device went off during a fight between several young people, Reverol said on state television.
Eight of those who died from suffocation were younger than 18, he said, and five people were injured.
Reverol said authorities had arrested seven people and the investigation was ongoing.
- 17 Killed at Venezuela Club Tear Gas Explosion
- Firefighter killed in gas explosion, fire near Madison
- Gas Explosions, Fires Reported in Massachusetts Cities
- 1 killed in Texas hospital explosion
- American Killed During Boat Explosion at Bahamas
- Fireworks explosion kills 19, injures 31 near Mexico City
- Suspected poison gas kills at least 40 in Damascus suburb
- Deadly Explosion Explosives Found at Home of Ex-Boyfriend
- What You Need to Know: July 17
- What You Need to Know: September 17