UPDATE 5:05 p.m. Thursday, April 4, 2019 - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has released new information regarding a deadly officer-involved shooting in Redding on Tuesday.
Authorities received reports from residents in the area of Crestlake Drive about a suspicious person, later identified as Donnell Lane, acting strange and watching children who were playing basketball in the street.
The reporting party also told officers that Lang was in possession of a small handgun in his waistband.
Lang then started to walk along Lema Ranch Trail, north of Crestlake Drive. When officers arrived on scene, witnesses told them that they also observed Lane with a handgun in his hand. This information was relayed to officers involved in the search.
Officers made contact with Lang and ordered him to show his hands. Lang was uncooperative and refused the officer's commands. He repeatedly reached to his waistband where officers had been told he may have hidden a firearm.
One of the officers tried to put him in a control hold to handcuff him, but Lang broke free and quickly thrust his right hand toward his waistband, which promoted a backup officer to fire multiple rounds at him.
Lang was pronounced deceased at the scene.
When officers searched him, they did not find any weapons on him. He was in possession of a key fob, a dark-colored wallet and keys.
Multiple agencies are working together in the area to attempt to locate the reported weapon.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Shasta County District Attorney's Office at (530) 245-6135.
UPDATE 3:40 p.m. Wednesday, April 3, 2019 - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has identified the man killed by an officer as Donnell James Lang, 48, of Redding.
The shooting is still under investigation. Multiple agencies are reviewing surveillance video of the area.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Shasta County Sheriff's Office at (530) 245-6135.
REDDING, Calif. - One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Redding on Tuesday.
Authorities said the shooting happened around 3:30 p.m. on Shasta View Drive and Hemingway Street.
The Redding Police Department received multiple calls about a suspicious man in the area that seemed to be watching kids, authorities said.
When officers arrived on scene the man was being cooperative, however, soon after he became physical and aggressive toward officers.
Authorities said at some point after the suspect became uncooperative, an officer shot him. The officer immediately began initiating life-saving procedures, however, the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The identity of the man has not been released.
We are working to learn more details. Stay tuned for updates.
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office identifies man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect in Officer-Involved Shooting off I-5
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting
- Yuba County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Tehama County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Authorities identify man killed in Redding officer-involved shooting
- Victim Identified in Redding Officer-Involved Shooting
- Suspect identified in Anderson officer-involved shooting
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Identifies Victim in Anderson Homicide
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office identifies man killed in Highway 44 accident