What a difference a year makes for bitcoin.
In December 2017, bitcoin prices hit a record high of just under $20,000. Flash forward to December 2018 and bitcoin is now trading a little below $3,400. That's a more than 80% plunge. Bitcoin is at a 15-month low.
Business, economy and trade
Economy and economic indicators
Money, banknotes and coins
Banking, finance and investments
Financial markets and investing
Funds and investment trusts
But prices have really gotten whacked this week, falling nearly 20% in just the past five days alone.
Bitcoin isn't the only cryptocurrency getting hit either. Ripple/XRP, ethereum, stellar, litecoin and numerous other cryptocurrencies have plunged in the past week.
Little tangible news can explain or justify the current crypto carnage.
One possible reason is that a pro-crypto member of the Securities and Exchange Commission warned at a conference this week that she's fighting an uphill battle trying to convince the rest of the SEC to approve more bitcoin exchange traded funds.
"Don't hold your breath. I do caution people to not live or die on when a crypto or bitcoin ETF gets approved," said SEC commissioner Hester Peirce.
That's not a good sign. Peirce's comments probably mean hopes for a bitcoin ETF getting approved anytime soon have been dashed, according to long-term bitcoin bull Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst with Think Markets UK Ltd.
Aslam argued that bitcoin prices could wind up plummeting below $2,000 and even test the $1,500 level.
"Simply put, the bad news keeps coming just like cockroaches coming out of a hole," Aslam wrote in a report.
More downside could be ahead simply because the price of bitcoin and many other digital currencies just ran up so sharply last year. It was a parabolic move that defied reason, similar to internet stocks in the late 1990s -- a classic mania.
Nearly two-thirds of money managers surveyed by asset management firm Natixis still thought that cryptocurrencies were a bubble, the firm reported this week.
- Bitcoin's epic plunge continues
- Bitcoin plunges 13% and falls below $9,000
- Carlos Ghosn fallout; Bitcoin plunges; Soup wars
- Bitcoin plunges more than $3,000 after hitting new record
- Bitcoin plunges as social media cracks down on cryptocurrency ads
- Bitcoin bloodbath -- cryptocurrency plunges 20% in two days
- Bitcoin crash: This man lost his savings when cryptocurrencies plunged
- Bitcoin prices keeps plunging. When will they hit bottom?
- The 2017 epic architecture quiz
- Bitcoin plunges below $6,000 to lowest level in more than a year