Key Trump Cabinet officials will gather at the White House on Tuesday to discuss issues including immigration and border security, according to administration officials.
Defense Secretary James Mattis and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen are expected to be among those taking part, officials say.
The conversation is set to cover issues ranging from construction of a border wall to the "caravan" of people making their way to the US from Central America -- an annual publicity effort to call attention to the plight of Central American migrants that has drawn furious tweets from President Donald Trump in recent days.
Part of the conversations will include discussions about possibly using government money approved for the Pentagon on the construction of the border wall -- a desire of Trump's that faces exceedingly long odds given the nature of congressional appropriations. Democratic lawmakers have opposed such an effort and, more broadly, lawmakers have expressed concern that the Pentagon would lose needed funds for military readiness and strengthening.
The conversation could also be broader and cover key defense and security issues facing the US.
Nielsen on Monday discussed the issue of the caravan with her Mexican counterparts, according to a tweet from Mexican Secretary Alfonso Navarrete that DHS confirmed occurred. Navarrete said the pair agreed to address migrant flows in accordance with each country's laws.
In a statement Monday night, Mexico's Foreign Ministry said its authorities have offered some refuge and protective measures to the annual caravan and that roughly 400 of the participants in the group have already been removed from Mexico back to their home countries.
- Cabinet members meeting on immigration at White House on Tuesday
- Embattled Cabinet members attend White House opioid event
- Trump's Cabinet turmoil
- Sessions, other Cabinet members not attending Camp David retreat
- Democrats slam White House immigration proposal
- White House scrambles to contain immigration fallout
- Trump eyes purging Cabinet 'deadweight'
- Cabinet company ships 'warped' doors
- White House corrects DACA meeting transcript
- White House: Bolton meets with Russian ambassador