Police said a two-year old boy died after ingesting medication at his grandmother's house in Henrico County Friday afternoon, according to CBS News 6.
Lt. Richard Brown with Henrico Police said the two-year-old swallowed up to 12 adult-dosage pills before he was transported to VCU Medical Center where he died.
Officials said his body has been transported to the medical examiner's office to determine his exact cause of death.
When WTVR CBS 6 reporter Ashley Lewis arrived at the home Saturday, social services workers were inside investigating.
The family's spokesperson, Ricky Johnson, said he could not provide additional information since Kejon Edwards' death is still under investigation.
"We suffered a loss and we are just asking that you pray for this family and pray for this community," said Johnson with the Ricky Johnson and Friends Foundation. "The family is asking for privacy right now, while we try to figure this out. We're just lost for words right now."?
Neighbors said the victim has two siblings.
"It's a tragedy and I'm going to miss him," one neighbor said.
Officers said the incident remains under investigation. There has been no word if anyone will face charges in connection with Kejon's death.
- 2-year-old Virginia boy dies after taking pills at grandmother's house, police say
- 70-year-old grandmother dead after Virginia Beach house fire
- Mom, Grandmother Charged After 2-Year-Old Boy Found in the Street Twice
- House panel grills wholesale drug distributors on West Virginia opioid 'pill dumping'
- A 2-year-old in Virginia disappeared from his bed
- Family: 2-year-old dies after dental appointment
- Accused murderer's grandmother: 'He's a sick boy'
- Boy allegedly fatally shot grandmother, himself
- Oceanside police: 11-year-old boy takes grandmother's car, goes on joyride with friends
- Prescription pill trafficking, counterfeit pills prevalent in local high schools