BREAKING NEWS Deputies identify two men found dead with gunshot wounds in Oak Run Full Story
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Smoldering pile of trash next to bed caused early morning Redding house fire

Smoke detectors are required and essential to keep families safe said Redding firefighters on Thursday after putting out a house fire.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 3:23 PM
Updated: Oct 22, 2020 4:26 PM

REDDING, Calif. - A home caught fire in Redding just after midnight on Thursday. Firefighters say it was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

The initial call was for an "intentionally set fire" with a person trapped upstairs. When Redding firefighters arrived at the residence in the 1000 block of Pine Street they discovered that all the occupants of the home had escaped danger from the fire.

The firefighters said they found a smoldering pile of trash next to a bed in an upstairs bedroom. The fire was quickly extinguished and there were no injuries. There was some minor damage to a wall and a carpet, causing approximately $200 worth of damage.

Six fire engines and 20 firefighters responded to the scene. Crews said it was all cleared in under an hour.

The Redding Fire Department wants to remind people that smoke detectors are required and are essential to alerting citizens to a fire. They said to check or change the batteries in your smoke detectors at least two times a year.

Chico
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 66°
Oroville
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 59°
Paradise
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 66°
Red Bluff
Clear
69° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 69°
Red Bluff
Clear
69° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 69°
Willows
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 66°
We're closing out the month of November in a pleasant way in northern California Tuesday. We'll have some gusty wind tonight and early Wednesday, but December will begin with warmer and drier than average weather.
KHSL Severe
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events