OLD SHASTA, Calif. - Some Old Shasta residents are being served large water bills even if their homes were destroyed by the Carr Fire.
Action News Now reporter Elizabeth Zelidon spoke with both residents and the water companies about why this is happening.
"It doesn't seem fair we aren't using the water, there is no house on the property to even consider using water and yet we have to pay $65 a month to be hooked up to the water system," said Frank Zalvidar, a resident of Old Shasta.
Zalvidar said that he is currently being billed $300 from the Old Shasta water district. He said that large companies like PG&E and Direct TV have cleared his accounts, but his own local company is still billing him.
"They are taking advantage of people that have lost everything," Zalvidar said. "It just feels like a slap in the face on top of already being slapped in the face."
Action News Now reached out to the Old Shasta Water district for a response and Director Chris Koper said that the charges are related to limited services.
"We have a limited amount of services we can provide and we have a limited amount of water we have in the district, so in order to maintain your spot you're going to have to raise $27.55 a month," Koper said. "That's the inactive fee and if you live uphill there is an additional $23 for PG&E to pump your water to your property."
But some residents feel that there isn't really a way to opt out if they want to.
"A lot of people feel they shouldn't have to pay anything but we have always had inactive rate just because we have to have that," Koper said. "We can't guarantee we can provide the service if people stop paying because we can sell that service to someone else who does want to use it."
- Carr Fire Victims in Shasta Lake Still Receiving Water Bills
- First 5 Shasta Gives Grants to Carr Fire Victims
- Cal HOPE Shasta Provides Emotional Support for Carr Fire Victims
- Boil Water Advisory Issued Following Carr Fire
- Resources for Victims of Carr Fire
- Trinity River and Lewiston Lake Water Levels Could Fluctuate Due to Carr Fire
- Shasta Regional Medical Center Doctor Loses Home in Carr Fire
- DONATE: Carr Fire Relief
- Carr Fire Television Special
- Support victims of the Carr Fire with the Carr Fire Relief Fund