Gridley house fire started in chicken coop

Bond Fire causes extensive damage to Gridley home

An early morning structure fire in Gridley caused extensive damage to a home on Bond Ln.

Posted: Mar 30, 2019 11:34 AM
Updated: Mar 30, 2019 12:45 PM

GRIDLEY, Calif. -A faulty heat lamp in a backyard chicken coop was the cause of the Bond Fire that caused extensive damage to a Gridley home early Saturday morning.

At 6:12 a.m. a fire was reported in the 1500 block of Bond Ln. in Gridley. 

The CAL FIRE Butte Unit responded to the fully involved home with five engines and two water tenders. 17 personnel got to work trying to contain the fire quickly, but extensive damage did occur.

The Incident Commander of the incident determined that the cause of the Bond Fire was a faulty heat lamp in a backyard chicken coop.

Crews are currently finishing "overhaul" and salvage operations. According to Public Information Officer Rick Carhart, the term "overhaul" means the crews are cleaning up the area. Carhart said the term "mop up" is used to describe the post-fire cleanup on a vegetation or wildland fire, but "overhaul" is used when a structure is involved.

Article Comments

52° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 52°
53° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 53°
52° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 52°
25° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 25°
Red Bluff
47° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 44°
52° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 52°
Staying very warm through your 7 day forecast
KHSL Severe
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events