CHICO, Calif. - Firefighters responded to the Chico First Assembly of God at 1137 Arbutus Ave. around 1 a.m. Friday, after a witness, spotted smoke and flames coming from the front of the building.
Billy Joe Elgen Jr. said he was walking home from his mother's house down the street.
"You can tell it's been going for a minute," Elgen said. "It's pretty bad on one corner. It's Indented on the corner and on the ground where it comes out."
As he approached the church, he noticed smoke coming from the building.
"I thought maybe that the church had something going tonight, and they might have forgot to shut off some lights," Elgen said. "I walked over to it, and it was a fire. But my phone was stolen the other day, so I ran over to the neighbors' and pounded on his door and called 911."
According to the Chico Fire Department, the building sustained smoke and fire damage, but it was kept primarily in the front of the church.
No injuries were reported. Firefighters said there were no signs of forced entry, and the cause is still under investigation.
- Flames destroy part of Chico church
- Flames destroy home north of Oroville
- Flames destroy several mobile homes in Gerber
- Flames make Chico home 'unlivable'
- Chico building catches flames on Olive Street
- Pick-up truck destroyed by flames on Skyway
- Early morning fire destroys Chico home
- Palermo mobile home completely burned by flames
- Concow Home Destroyed, Nearby Vegetation Contained Quickly
- One structure destroyed from fire in Corning