Photo Gallery 11 Images
BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - The CAL FIRE Butte Unit has been very busy all week on multiple fronts.
They spent a lot of time in the last 24 hours conducted high water rescues of vehicles and passengers. Saturday morning CAL FIRE officials said they have responded to four trapped vehicle situations, rescuing five people, over the last 24 hours.
Ord Ferry dips and River Road dips are the places most people have been getting trapped, said CAL FIRE Public Information Officer Rick Carhart. The last rescue was about 4:15 Saturday morning in the Cherokee Canal in Gridley. There have been two rescues in that area over the past 24 hours.
They want to remind people not to pass barriers put up due to closed roads. Even though it is not raining much currently, they said some area roadways can remain impassable for days.
Saturday training was taking place for crews in Oroville. The crew of Engine 63 was training on nozzle forward techniques with a 2.5 inch hose.
Also this week fire suppression repair efforts continued in Berry Creek. A Butte Fire Center crew has been working on Camp Fire repair by restoring hillsides and waterways where contingency fire lines were cut. They are working to restore those areas to their natural state.
While in Berry Creek, local school kids got to see the fire engines up close and talk to firefighters. They also learned about fire safety in their own homes.
Up on the Ridge, the POA (Paradise Pines Property owners) was where a shaded fuel break was being constructed by CAL FIRE and Butte Fire Center crews. They thinned trees and brush and made piles that will be burned later on, when conditions allow.
The Butte Unit of CAL FIRE has also started back up their defensive space inspections. Currently they are working n the Kelly Ridge area near Lake Oroville.
- Butte CAL FIRE busy with rescues, fire restoration and wildfire defense
- CAL FIRE: Vance Fire 65% contained
- Cal Fire Strike Team Battles Fire, Exhaustion in Wake if Wildfires
- Cal Fire Interview Following Press Conference
- Cal Fire Requests More Budget Money
- Cal Fire Uses Aerial Resources to Fight Delta Fire
- CAL FIRE Responds to Ag Fire in Gridley
- CAL FIRE stops forward progress on Elk Fire
- CAL FIRE respond to house fire in Thermalito
- Butte County Fire Department honors their own