Photo Gallery 4 Images
SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has arrested a man in connection to a series of arson fires in Anderson Friday morning.
Earlier in the week, detectives with the Shasta County Major Crimes Unit developed a lead on a possible suspect vehicle. The vehicle was a red four-door compact that was seen on video surveillance in the area of recent fires on Oct. 14 and Oct. 20.
After this discovery, detectives conducted patrols in the vicinity of the fires that took place on Friday.
Around 5:15 a.m., detectives with the Shasta County Major Crimes Unit spotted a 2000 Red Nissan Sentra leaving the area of Driftstone Drive in Anderson.
A traffic stop was conducted and the sole occupant was identified as Samuel Villa Scholfield, 19, of Cottonwood.
Scholfield was interviewed and booked into Shasta County Jail on a charge of arson for the fires reported Friday morning in Anderson. His bail is currently set at $800,000.
Currently, detectives and investigators with the Arson Taskforce are examing a large amount of evidence including physical, biological and digital regarding 40 arson fires which date back to July.
There is currently a search warrant being served at Scholfield's residence at 3315 Chestnut Street in Cottonwood, which is in the immediate area of the original 14 Cottonwood arson fires that have taken place from July to October.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Shasta County Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit at (530) 245-6135.
- Arson Suspect Arrested in Connection to Anderson Fires
- Suspect Arrested in Connection With Holy Fire
- Arson Suspects Arrested in Placer County
- Apartment fire results in arson charges
- Firefighters Responding to Structure Fire in Anderson
- Four Morning Fires Under Investigation in Anderson
- Downed Power Lines Spark Small Vegetation Fire in Anderson
- CAMP FIRE: 2 arrested in suspected evacuation zone looting
- New Series of Fires in Cottonwood Sunday Morning May Be Arson
- Cards Lost By Camp Fire Survivor at Anderson Walmart Have Been Located