REDDING, Calif. - A woman is behind bars in Redding after police say she tried to set an apartment on fire.
According to investigators, Rebecca Dortha Cotreau barricaded herself inside of an apartment at a complex on the 1800 block of Hartnell Avenue in Redding just before 6 p.m. on Friday, July 12, 2019.
Police said Cotreau had threatened to kill herself and others. They said she turned the gas on in the apartment and threatened to set it on fire. The Redding Fire Department responded to the scene and turned the natural gas off to the entire apartment complex. They ended up evacuating some of the residents from the apartments in the complex for their safety.
Police said Cotreau broke some of windows of the apartment and then set a fire using lighter fluid. Police said that is when they forced their way into the apartment. The entrance had been blocked by furniture.
Police said Cotreau refused demands by law enforcement to comply with their demands. They said they used un-lethal means to but her into custody with help from K9 Dozer.
Cotreau was pulled out of the smoke-filled apartment and was taken to the hospital to be checked out before she was arrested for arson and for resisting arrest.
- Apartment fire results in arson charges
- Cigarette butt to blame for apartment fire
- Arson Suspect Arrested in Connection to Anderson Fires
- Arson Suspects Arrested in Placer County
- New Series of Fires in Cottonwood Sunday Morning May Be Arson
- Fire crews battling 5-acre fire in Palermo
- CAL FIRE: Vance Fire 65% contained
- DONATE: Carr Fire Relief
- Carr Fire Television Special