CHICO, Calif. - A structure fire was reported in Chico on Saturday just before noon. The Chico Fire Department and CAL FIRE Butte County crews responded to the scene on Dead End Court.
According to Chico Fire Captain Ken Smith, the fire appears to have been caused by a wiring issue involving an air conditioner.
The homeowners had the air conditioner mounted on the shake-shingled roof. Captain Smith referred to those shingles as "a receptive fuel bed on the roof."
He said smoke was noticed by a neighbor who sprayed the air conditioning unit with a fire extinguisher, keeping the situation in check until firefighting personnel arrived.
Captain Smith suggests that as the summer heat picks up, people should get their air conditioners serviced by a quality, professional company.