Woman says dog died after being left in drying cage at Petco

Jun 1, 2015 1:18 PM by News Staff, Photos: WTVR

A Virginia family blames human error by a groomer at Petco for their young dog's tragic death.

Allison marks is heartbroken. Her two year old golden retriever named Colby is dead, and her house is silent. Colby died Friday during what was supposed to be a routine grooming at her hometown Petco.

According to Allison, when she called Petco to ask where her dog was she was told to go to a nearby animal hospital. There Alison says Petco's assistant manager told her Colby was accidentally left in the heated, drying cage too long.

A veterinarian told Allison the cause of death was likely heat stroke and that an hour after Colby's death his temperature was still more than 105 degrees.

Petco released a statement to Action News Now affiliate WTVR; All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby`s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care.

Read more from WTVR here.

Get breaking news, weather, and sports anytime, anywhere with the Action News Now app


Most Popular