Apr 2, 2014 7:18 PM
The General Manager of Wilbur Hot Springs in Colusa County said the world-renowned site will reopen on a limited basis as they begin the rebuilding process of their hotel destroyed in a fire.
Saturday morning's fire at the Hot Springs' hotel was not the 75th birthday wish its owner, Dr. Richard Miller, asked for.
Saturday morning, he was hosting a catered event for guests, and mostly everyone was eating downstairs.
When it was all said and done, floors two and three were completely destroyed.
But amazingly, there were no injuries.
The Springs' GM Michael Van Hall said Dr. Miller rushed to the source of the fire, which he presumes was started by a malfunctioned heater.
After being treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, Dr. Miller gathered guests and staff around in a circle to sing happy birthday to him.
“And then when they were done he said you know unfortunately this was just a candle that was a little bit too big for me to blow out,” Van Hall said.
Guests lost essentially everything, and the damage is estimated to be in the millions.
The building was uninsured so if you'd like to help clean up or donate to the rebuilding of the hotel, click here.
1 day ago