White House revisits exclusion of women from military draft

Dec 4, 2015 3:50 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says the administration is considering proposing changes to the selective service law that would make women eligible for the draft.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest says officials at the Pentagon are deliberating on the change and will work with Congress on the review on the law.

The comments came a day after Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced he was ordering the military to open all military jobs to women, including the most dangerous commando posts.

Carter previously has said he supports a review of the draft. Earnest says President Barack Obama has not expressed his personal opinion on the matter.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Most Popular