Update: Navy finds no sign of shooting at med center

Jan 26, 2016 1:48 PM by News Staff


The Navy says an initial inspection at Naval Medical Center San Diego found no sign of a gunman or a shooting.

Navy spokesman N. Scott Sutherland said Tuesday that military police had checked Building 26 after a person reported hearing three shots in the basement earlier in the day.

The base remained on lockdown as authorities went from room to room and led personnel out of the facility.

School officials say a lockdown has ended and instruction has resumed at three schools near the medical center.

In addition, TV images showed uniformed Navy personnel walking outside the medical facility. Their hands were in the air and they were being patted down by base police as a precaution.

The Navy hospital previously said on its Facebook page that an active shooter was reported and people were told to run, hide or fight.


Military authorities are responding to a report of gunshots at a building on the campus Naval Medical Center San Diego.

Spokesman Mike Alvarez says the sounds were heard around 8 a.m. Tuesday in Building 26.

The building houses offices and barracks for wounded sailors and Marines as well as a gym.

Alvarez says all non-emergency personnel are asked to stay away from the area.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

This is a developing story, stay tuned to Action News Now for all the details as they develop.


Most Popular