Student suffers lung damage after inhaling chemicals in Redding pool

Jun 2, 2015 8:15 PM by News Staff

One of the two dozen Redding children hospitalized after ingesting chlorine during a field trip Monday has been transferred to UC Davis Medical Center with lung damage.

Jason Provence, superintendent of the Pacheco School District in Redding says the name of the student is not being released.

The incident happened at Sun Oaks Tennis and Fitness Club on Monday. School officials say the students were at the facility for an end of the year field trip when a highly concentrated burst of chlorine and muriatic acid was released into the pool.

A group of students reported feeling a burning sensation all over their bodies, and several began vomiting.

Cal OHSA is conducting a comprehensive investigation into the incident and the owners of Sun Oak are looking into the possibility of a mechanical failure in the sanitation system.


Most Popular