Aug 24, 2014 2:36 PM by News Staff
Here is the latest dispatch from the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services regarding Sunday morning's earthquake in the Napa County area:
SACRAMENTO - At 3:20 AM this morning, a magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck the small community of American Canyon in Napa County, and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) is coordinating disaster response to meet the needs of affected communities.
Cal OES, in coordination with local, state, and federal response organizations is working to determine the emergency needs of communities and ensure appropriate resources are available to aid the relief efforts.
Thus far the state has deployed three Urban Search and Rescue Teams to assist with the response and recovery efforts. The American Red Cross has opened an evacuation shelter for affected residents at Crosswalk Community Church at 2590 1st Street in Napa.
Residents and visitors are encouraged to stay off the roads and utilize phones for emergency purposes only. Use of 911 and local emergency rooms should be restricted to life threatening emergencies only.
The California Utilities Emergency Association (CUEA) is reporting the following utility issues/concerns that are currently being addressed:
• Approximately 29,000 power outages
• Pacific Gas and Electric Company have activated their Emergency Operations Center and are mobilizing assessment teams and dispatching emergency crews to the area.
• Crews are working to inspect natural gas and water lines for any potential structural damages
• Customers that smell gas or hear a blowing or hissing noise should open windows, evacuate the building immediately, turn off gas if possible and call PG & E at 1-800-743-5000.
Per the California Natural Resources Agency, surveys have been completed and there are no reports of damage or releases at Bay Area Refineries and Marine Oil Terminals.
While there are currently no road closures are in effect, drivers are urged to use caution in the following areas:
• State Route 29: Open with signals out.
• State Route 121: Thirty feet of cracked and lifted up asphalt. Roads are drivable using caution and will remain open for drivers attending an event at Sears Point Raceway. Crews are assessing damage. No impact to traffic 3 mi north of the Sonoma/Napa co line /at Cuttings Wharf.
Cal OES has activated the State Operations Center to coordinate response and is also closely coordinating with the following:
• The Coastal Region Emergency Operations Center (REOC).
• Napa County EOC is activated at the Napa County Sheriff's Department due to structural issues at the county administration building.
• The City of Napa EOC is activated
Important numbers to note:
• Life Threatening Emergency- 911
• Napa County Sheriff and City of Napa Police/Non-Emergency- 257-9223
• Napa County Fire/Cal-Fire-967-4207
• PG & E- 1-800-743-5000
• Red Cross-257-2900
• Volunteer Center- 252-6222
• Napa Valley Unified School District- 253-3715
The United States Geological Society has indicated a 54 percent likelihood of a Magnitude 5 and larger for the next 7 days. While there is no guarantee of large aftershocks within that timeframe, today's quake highlights the importance of taking action and preparing for such disasters.
Cal OES offers many helpful resources to help you and your family prepare for a quake at www.caloes.ca.gov. Most importantly, families should understand what disaster risks exist where they live, work, and play; work to create a family emergency plan; and build an emergency kit with enough food, water, and supplies to sustain every member of your household (including pets) for a minimum of 72 hours.
The American Red Cross also offers a free Earthquake mobile app for your mobile device, which offers preparedness tips and information as well as alerts and notifications of earthquake activity.
For updated information on ongoing earthquake response efforts, please visit www.caloes.ca.gov and follow Cal OES on Facebook and www.Twitter.com/Cal_OES. You may also visit www.countyofnapa.org for more information. And to receive automatic updates, please register at http://local.nixle.com/city/ca/napa.