Staggs Surrenders After 2-Hour Standoff with Redding SWAT

Jul 29, 2013 4:59 PM

After a two-hour standoff with the Redding Police Department’s SWAT team this morning, 35-year-old James Aurthur Staggs, wanted for firing shots at a Redding Police Officer on July 24, surrendered without incident.

On July 24, a Redding Police Officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a gold Subaru Legacy near Girvan Road and Hemlock Street in Redding. According to the Department’s press release, the Legacy failed to yield for roughly a quarter mile before finally stopping near Pernie Trail and Hemlock Street.

The male passenger, later identified as Staggs, fled from the vehicle on foot and the officer pursued him to the corner of Marvin Trail and Pernie Trail. During the pursuit, Staggs reportedly pulled a .38 caliber revolver from his waistband and fired three shots in the direction of the pursuing officer. Staggs at one point discarded the firearm and while continuing to flee on foot until eventually evading arrest.

The Shasta County Sheriff’s Department and CHP were called in to aid in the search for Staggs, but he was not located the night of the incident. An arrest warrant was issued for assault on a police officer with a firearm, felony possession of a firearm, violation of parole and conspiracy and obstructing a police officer.

This morning, Redding Police Officers obtained information Staggs was inside a residence on the 3500 block of Polaris Way in Redding. Redding PD’s SWAT team was requested to the scene. According to the Department, officers communicated with Staggs for approximately two hours, but refused to leave the residence. Finally at about 9:45 a.m., Staggs finally surrendered and was arrested without incident. After conducting a search of the residence, police located a stolen 2001 Ford pickup and two shotguns, one of which was reported stolen.

The Department also indicated Staggs confessed to detectives he did fire his weapon at the Redding Police officer on July 24. Staggs also reportedly admitted to driving the stolen Ford and being in possession of both shotguns. Staggs was eventually booked into the Shasta County Jail.


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4