Dec 11, 2013 12:40 PM
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — Sheriff's officials in Northern California say their preliminary review shows a deputy who shot and killed a 13-year-old boy did not violate department procedure governing the use of deadly force.
The shooting of Andy Lopez in Santa Rosa in October by Sonoma County Sheriff's Deputy Erick Gelhaus has sparked numerous protests. The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa reports (http://bit.ly/JeHmR7) that two people were arrested during demonstrations against the shooting on Tuesday.
Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Duenas says the sheriff's office's review was based on an initial briefing by Santa Rosa police, who are looking into whether criminal charges are warranted against Gelhaus. Although the review is continuing, he says so far there is no indication Gelhaus failed to follow procedures.
Gelhaus has told investigators he believed the BB gun Lopez was carrying when he was shot was an assault rifle.
Information from: The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, http://www.pressdemocrat.com
©2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved.