Shasta County Board of Supes reject rehab center expansion

Jun 9, 2015 8:46 PM by Charlene Cheng

Shasta County is dealing with a profound fallout from Prop 47.

With offenders being pushed out of the prison system, more than 3,500 inmates housed in the county jail were released early last year due to the lack of space.

But Sheriff Tom Bosenko's latest bid to ease overcrowding has been rejected by county officials.

"Today, the Board of Supervisors had the decision on whether to move forward with a 64 bed facility, a 96 bed, or a 128 bed," he said.

The Board voted down both expansion possibilities for the new adult rehabilitation center on Breslauer Lane, citing the fact that the county just doesn't have the funds.

That decision will come at a cost to local crime.

According to the sheriff, there's currently a deficit of 106 beds at the county jail.

He projects that by the year 2030, that number will grow to over 200.

The new center won't be open until 2018 or early 2019.

In the meantime, the county will need to continue shelling out big money to keep criminals locked up.

"To house 64 inmates out of county, it costs about $1.8 million. They don't get exposed to rehabilitative services and there's still the transportation costs, and that only houses sentenced inmates," Sheriff Bosenko said.


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4