Apr 27, 2016 9:28 PM by News Staff
The trial for the man accused of killing 14-year-old Marysa Nichols of Red Bluff is finally under way, more than three years after her murder.
A jury of 10 men and two women were seated Wednesday morning in Sacramento Superior Court after nearly six days of interviews and screening by the prosecution and defense attorney's. The trial is being held in Sacramento after a Tehama County judge ruled last year that the case had received too much local publicity for Bealer to get a fair trial in Red Bluff.
Quinten Bealer, 42, is accused of strangling Nichols to death in February 2013. He body was found in a field near Red Bluff High School three days after she was reported missing.
During opening statements, jurors listened as Tehama County Deputy District Attorney Donna Daly outlined some of the DNA evidence that was found on Marysa's body, linking Bealer to Marysa's murder. Daly said she was found strangled, her yellow tank top wrapped around her neck and knotted with Bealer's DNA on the tank top, and behind her ear.p Daly added that Bealer was also lying in wait for Marysa before he attacked her.p Bealer's attorney, Shon Northam, also talked about DNA. He told jurors he would prove that Bealer's DNA was transferred to Marysa's only after and because he gave the teenager a cigarette that he had lit in his mouth.
Northam also said jurors would be hearing from a witness who said he saw Marysa in Redding after the date the District Attorney claims she was killed.
He said evidence would show that Bealer was seen on security video later that day, clean, with no dirt on his clothing and he had no marks indicating any type of a struggle with someone.
The prosecution is set to begin calling witnesses Thursday morning.
10 hours ago