Poisonous substance that killed Anderson teen identified

Aug 28, 2014 3:48 PM by News Staff

The Anderson Police Department said Thursday that the poisonous substance three teenagers mistakenly ingested last week was strychnine.

According to the police department, two 16-year-old boys and a 13-year-old boy ingested strychnine, believing that it was cocaine, after school Friday August 22. The three kids were rushed to the hospital, but one of the 16-year-olds was killed.

Strychnine is a crystalline alkaloid (typically white power like) and is odorless and colorless. It is commonly used as a pesticide, particularly for killing small vertebrates (such as rats, rodents and even birds) and produces some of the most dramatic and painful symptoms of any known toxic reaction.

Anderson Police are continuing to investigate how and why these juveniles came to be in possession of the poison.


Most Popular