Pacific Gas and Electric Company and the Redding Fire Department investigated a gas smell reported in the area of Pine and Market streets in Redding this afternoon.
PG&E sent out a crew at 3:17 p.m. to the area to investigate if there was a leak, External Communication Representative Paul Moreno said.
Students were evacuated in the Shasta College campus center located in downtown Redding. The Shasta College Health Center was also temporarily evacuated after many students smelt gas inside the building, Vice President of Administrative Services Morris Rodrigue said.
Students were evacuated for about 30 minutes. The Redding Fire department also responded to the scene, Rodrigue said. The students were allowed to go back inside after the fire department cleared the building.
The Redding Fire department didn't find any gas leaks inside the building and are suspecting the gas smell came into the ventilation system.
PG&E and Fire crews are still on the scene. Stay with Action News Now as we find out more details.