Oroville man recovering after Monday tree accident, family and friends help with business

Jan 2, 2015 7:12 PM by Brian Johnson

After a few sleepless nights in the hospital, an Oroville man is recovering at home from injuries he suffered from a fallen tree limb on Monday.

Joaquin Carrasco's wife, Anna Carrasco, happened to catch part of the accident on her cell phone camera.

The two put their handy skills to profitable use in the winter months by cutting, splitting, and selling firewood around the North State.

"I'm alive, so that's the great news," Carrasco said.

The bad news is he's in a lot of pain, four days after he decided to cut down a tree eight miles into the Plumas National Forest near Brush Creek while his family watched, the kids from a distance.

"A big limb hit another tree and it ricocheted or rubber banded back, said Anna Carrasco. "And that's when he was running, tried to miss it, and it hit his arm...and it broke his arm in three places, and it hit his hip and fractured his hip and the bones in the tailbone area."

But Joaquin says it could have been worse, but avoided that by using his arm to shield his head.

"He kept telling me, ‘just drag me out throw me in the truck and take me to the hospital," Anna said.

"You don't know what the tree is going to do, you really don't know," Joaquin said.

Joaquin says he's been hit by fallen limbs before, but not this big, nearly 40 inches in diameter, and not nearly this hard.

"The man's tough as nails," said Joaquin's friend Johnny Metzger. "He can take a beating, let me tell you. He's a tough man."

Metzger is one of a few friends and family members who helped Anna make all deliveries on time that night.
He'll continue to help out for as long as he has to, but says Joaquin can't stay away from working any way he can, like cleaning the chainsaws.

"Work is work," Joaquin said. "Accidents can happen anywhere."

So as soon as he's ready, in six to eight weeks, he'll be back on the grind.

The wood grind.


Most Popular