No charges in 2010 death of Mexican man at Calif. border

Nov 7, 2015 12:17 PM by News Staff

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Justice Department says it won't bring charges in the death of a Mexican man who was shot by U.S. border authorities with a stun gun.

Federal officials on Friday said they were closing their investigation into the 2010 death of Anastasio Hernandez-Rojas, who was shot in southern California as he was being returned to Tijuana, Mexico. He had been caught coming into the U.S. illegally, officials said.

The department said it had concluded that the border authorities didn't violate Hernandez-Rojas's civil rights and did not act with the malice required to support a prosecution.

Federal officials said the investigation determined that Hernandez-Rojas suffered a heart attack while being restrained and that the electric shocks from the stun gun were a contributing factor. Autopsies revealed heart disease and methamphetamine intoxication.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Most Popular