Dec 7, 2015 1:05 PM by News Staff
A Chicago police officer will not be charged in the fatal shooting of a black man in an incident captured by a squad car's dashcam.
Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez announced Monday that she's not charging Officer George Hernandez in the shooting death of Ronald Johnson III in October 2014. Hernandez is the second police officer to be charged in less than two weeks in connection with officer involved shootings recorded by squad car dashcams.
Last month, Alvarez charged Jason Van Dyke with first-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times.
Police say the 25-year-old Johnson pointed a gun at officers before Hernandez shot him in the back. Johnson's mother, who has been pressing the city to release the video, says it shows her son was running away from officers when he was shot.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the video should be released this week.
The State's Attorney's Office has shown a video of a white Chicago police officer fatally shooting a young black man - the second such video to be released in as many weeks.
The video's release Monday follows an effort by the family of 25-year-old Ronald Johnson III to force the city to make public the video that they say shows an officer shooting him in the back. Prosecutors have not said if they will charge Officer George Hernandez in the shooting.
Nearly two weeks ago, the city released a video that shows the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times. Officer Jason Van Dyke has been charged with first-degree murder.
Police say Johnson pointed a gun at police before Hernandez killed him. Johnson's mother says her son was running away from police when he was killed.