NEW: Belgium urges locals not to hold victims rally

Mar 26, 2016 11:35 AM

Belgium's interior minister has appealed to residents not to rally in solidarity for the victims of Tuesday's attacks on the airport and subway, saying police are too stretched with the investigation into the attacks.

Interior Minister Jan Jambon made the appeal on Saturday. He did not demand that the rally Sunday be cancelled, although he "invited citizens not to have this demonstration."

He says "we understand fully the emotions. We understand that everyone wants to express these feelings."

The march was to take place from the Place de la Bourse in Brussels to the city's Gare du Nord.

Thirty-one people were killed and 270 wounded in Tuesday's attacks in Brussels.

Belgian prosecutors have issued an arrest warrant for a new suspect in Tuesday's attacks on the Brussels airport and subway.

The federal prosecutor's office said in a statement on Saturday that an arrest warrant has been issued for a man only identified as Faycal C.

The statement said he is wanted for "involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist killings and attempted terrorist killings."

Belgian media are reporting that a man called Faycal Cheffou has been identified as the man suspected of fleeing Brussels airport after two alleged accomplices blew themselves up there.

Brussels airport officials say flights won't resume before Tuesday as they assess the damage caused by twin explosions in the terminal earlier this week.

Authorities have wrapped up their investigation of the crime scene at the airport, and will allow engineers into the building to check its structural safety and information technology systems - and whether any damage can be repaired quickly.

The Brussels Airport Company said Saturday it is "currently studying a temporary solution to partially resume passenger flights, taking into account the new security measures" decided by the federal government.

Brussels Airport handles 23.5 million passengers annually. It links Brussels with 226 destinations worldwide and is served by 77 different airlines.

About 3,200 Parisians are expected to attend free first aid training in the French capital to be better prepared for future terror attacks.

The two-hour sessions provided Saturday by rescuers in every district of Paris aim at teaching participants aged from 12 how to react in emergency situations.

The measure was approved by the Paris city council in December in the wake of the Nov. 13 attacks that killed 130 people.

"We must all know the five or six basic techniques that will help protecting the population if ever there are other attacks", Patrick Pelloux, an emergency room doctor, said. Pelloux was also a columnist for Charlie Hebdo and was among the first to arrive at the satirical newspaper's offices after the Jan. 7 massacre last year.


Most Popular