Lockdown Lifted After Suspect is Arrested on UPrep Campus

Oct 1, 2013 1:13 PM

(UPDATE) 1:00 p.m.- The Redding Police Department has released more information regarding the incident on the UPrep Campus in Redding this morning.

The officer who was injured during the incident has been identified as Sgt. Maready. Maready suffered an injury to the right side of his head after the suspect, also identified as 18-year-old Pauly Scott Yuron, resisted arrest.

According to the department’s release, Sgt. Maready and other officers were dispatched to the Ace Hardware Store on 2225 Eureka Way to a report of a male subject attempting to get into vehicles in the store’s parking lot. When Maready and other officer arrived, they observed Yuron getting into one of those vehicles. After he was approached by police, Yuron reportedly fled the scene and ran north towards the UPrep campus.

Yuron was chased by officers onto the school’s football field where he was confronted by Maready. According to the department’s press release, Yuron violently resisted arrest as Maready was attempting to arrest him, striking a blow to Maready’s head. Yuron was subsequently subdued by other responding officers.

Yuron was booked into the Shasta County Jail for attempted vehicle arrest, felonious battery on a police officer and resisting arrest. Maready was transported to Shasta Regional Medical Center for his injuries where he was treated and later released. He did not suffer any major injuries and “is in good spirits.”

The lockdown at both UPrep and Shasta High school were lifted after approximately 20 minutes.

A temporary lockdown was lifted and classes have resumed after a scary moment for students at the University Preparatory School in Redding this morning.

Cathy McClain, the school’s superintendent, confirmed with Action News Now the school was locked down at approximately 10 a.m. this morning after a suspect pursued on foot by a Redding Police Officer ran onto the campus and was arrested. McClain stated the suspect head-butted the officer “pretty badly”, but he was detained with the aid of campus security officers on the school’s football field. The school was locked down for approximately 20 minutes strictly as a precaution.

McCalin said there was a P.E. class on the field at the time of the incident and those students were immediately brought indoors for the lockdown and eventually debriefed on what happened. A couple of the kids were a little shaken and taken to the campus counseling office, but overall everyone is reported to be OK.

McClain was told by responding officers this morning a 911 call was made at the ACE hardware store across the street from UPrep for a suspicious male looking into vehicles in the businesses' parking lot. When the responding officers arrived at the scene, the man reportedly fled from the officer and ran onto the school’s campus. McClain stated the officer was head-butted by the suspect after the officer tackled him on the football field. We are waiting to confirm this and more information from the Redding Police Department.

We will provide you an updated version of this story later today.


Most Popular