Aug 5, 2015 12:39 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles County will pay $5 million to the family of a man who was mistakenly shot to death by sheriff's deputies as he tried to flee a knife-wielding captor.
City News Service says supervisors voted Tuesday to approve the settlement of a federal lawsuit that alleged negligence and excessive force.
Deputies answering a 911 call shot John Winkler in April of last year as the 30-year-old ran out the door of a West Hollywood apartment.
Authorities say the aspiring TV producer and another man had been taken hostage by an incoherent man who lived in the same building.
Deputies accidentally shot the other hostage in the leg.
The alleged kidnapper, Alexander McDonald, is awaiting trial for murder.
Authorities haven't said what prompted the attack.
2 days ago