Improperly discarded cigarettes cause Redding fires

Jun 12, 2015 4:13 PM by News Staff

Two fires in Redding Friday morning were the result of carelessly discarded cigarettes, according to fire officials.

Fire crews were called to 3600 Churn Creek Road for a possible structure fire around 9:15 a.m. Fire officials say a cigarette caused a small fire on the deck of an apartment, which was put out quickly with the help of a neighbor.

The fire was contained to a five foot section on the wooden deck, but with the low humidity and higher temperatures officials are asking smokers to be careful when discarding cigarettes.

An earlier fire on the 5300 block of Stonethrow Court has also been attributed to a cigarette.

Officials say that fire, which started at 7 a.m., spread from a deck to vegetation, but was quickly contained. It was caused by a cigarette smoldering in a milk container.

Fire officials say that smokers should discard cigarettes into a non-combustible container filled with sand.


Most Popular