Hoverboard blamed for California house fire that killed dogs

Jan 20, 2016 7:08 PM by News Staff

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) - Fire officials say a hoverboard sparked a house fire in Santa Rosa, California, that killed two dogs.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports that the fire broke out Tuesday in a girl's bedroom where the hoverboard was being charged.

Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Mark Basque estimates the blaze caused $200,000 to $250,000 in damage.

The home was unoccupied except for the two dogs, a labradoodle and a Boston terrier, who died of apparent smoke inhalation.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices have drawn criticism in recent months, as reports have come out across the country of them bursting into flames.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Most Popular