Jul 14, 2014 3:49 PM by News Staff
Authorities ordered the evacuation of a few businesses on the 600 block of Bird Street near Feather River Boulevard in Oroville after a gas leak was reported around 1:00 p.m. Monday.
Two residences and nine businesses were evacuated after a property owner drilling a fence post with a bobcat hit a gas line. Oroville fire officials say the biggest concern was wind blowing the natural gas. The evacuation led some businesses to close shop for the day.
"All the people is going back to work and they like our food," Taqueria Estrella owner Mario Valverde said. "[Monday] is one of the better days we have. It's okay, we want our customers to be safe so we locked our doors for today."
Paul Moreno, PG&E External Communications Representative, said natural gas is not dangerous to inhale but is flammable. Moreno added the person responsible did not call 8-1-1 two days prior to digging, the required time, and will now face a fine for PG&E's costs to fix the damage. The gas was turned off at 2:00 p.m. and evacuation orders were subsequently lifted.
1 hour ago