Flood victims looking for new homes

Mar 12, 2014 7:46 PM

15 days.

That's the amount of time that flood victims say they were given by the city of Redding to find a new place to live.

"As of last Thursday, which I believe was the 6th or 7th, they told us we had 2 weeks to find a place or we would be homeless," said Karin Grace Storm, a former tenant at the Magnolia Terrace Apartments.

It all started a month ago, just three weeks after she moved into the complex.

A city water main burst on Shasta Street and Magnolia Avenue, flooding nearby homes and forcing out the tenants.

Since then, the city of Redding has been paying $90 per person, per night, to house ten displaced residents at a hotel.

Now city officials say more damage has been discovered and that means residents won't be able to return to their old homes at all.

"There's some pre-existing dry rot that's going to take a considerable amount of work than what was anticipated," explained Chris Carmona, a risk manager for the city.

Displaced residents say that the city went back on their promise when they were handed a letter saying they have 15 days to find new permanent housing.

The city has agreed to pay the tenants' first month's rent at their new place, and the city risk manager says that they are doing whatever they can to help.


Most Popular