Fire alarm, smoke smell causes evacuation of Chico State's Butte Hall

Mar 23, 2016 7:58 PM by News Staff

Butte Hall on Chico State's campus was evacuated earlier today ... because of a possible electrical fire in the building.

The seven story building was evacuated around 1:45 p.m. this afternoon after someone smelled smoke.

A Chico State staff member called 9-1-1 and the fire department responded with 4 engines and one truck.

The fire department swept the building and checked the elevators to make sure nobody was trapped inside.

Emergency responders said they found no fire in the building.

“Further investigation determined that there was no fire that was actively burning and everybody was out safely. Nobody got hurt and the scene was turned back over to Chico State facilities," said Chico Fire Division Chief Aaron Lowe.

Chico State said their facilities department ultimately determined that a return air fan had failed and that produced some smoke in butte hall.

Chico State said students returned to classes in the building around 2:30 p.m. this afternoon.


Most Popular