Faulty soda dispenser forces restaurant evacuation

Jun 5, 2015 6:44 PM by News Staff

A leaking soft drink dispenser forced firefighters to evacuate a Chico fast-food restaurant Friday afternoon, after the emissions reportedly caused several employees to become ill.

According to the Chico Fire Department, several employees at the Jack in the Box on East 20th Street started feeling ill around noon Friday. They noticed issues with the drink dispensers and called the fire department. Fire crews responded and an evacuation order was issued.

A Hazmat team was called to the scene and the entire building was searched. All of the store's customers and employees got out of the building okay.

An investigation revealed that a leak in the restaurant's carbonated beverage system had occurred and was releasing high levels of carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide itself is not classified as toxic or harmful, but in large concentrations it can make people feel drowsy and give lungs a stuffy feeling.


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4