Family of slain Stockton bank robbery hostage sues city

Aug 18, 2015 2:31 PM by News Staff

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The family of a California bank robbery hostage who was shot and killed by police has filed a lawsuit against the department.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday says Stockton police officers used unreasonable force when they fired more than 600 times at the vehicle containing the suspects and hostage Misty Holt-Singh without a line of sight on Holt-Singh or the suspects and without selecting targets.

The lawsuit also says the officers had been told to hold their fire.

Holt-Singh was struck by 10 of the bullets officers fired in the July 2014 shootout. Police have said she was used as a human shield by the sole surviving suspect.

Stockton city officials did not immediately return calls and emails for comment Tuesday.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

MORE: Report: Officers fired excessively in bank robbery shootout

Get breaking news, weather, and sports anytime, anywhere with the Action News Now app


Most Popular