By Elizabeth Chuck, Staff Writer, NBC News
A boardwalk fire that tore through two Jersey Shore communities, destroying dozens of businesses that had barely found their footing after Superstorm Sandy, was caused by electrical components that had been compromised by the storm, officials announced Tuesday.
The cause of last Thursday's massive blaze in Seaside Heights and Seaside Park, N.J., had been a mystery until Tuesday, when officials confirmed it was an electrical problem. The fire was accidental and human involvement has been ruled out, they said.
Investigators said the fire began under a building that housed an ice cream store and a candy store. It was the result of failed electrical equipment and wiring under the boardwalk and subfloor, compromised by Sandy floodwaters.
Three dozen businesses went up in flames in the blaze. The area had also been hard-hit by Sandy last fall.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.