Egyptian-American released, flies back to US

May 31, 2015 2:50 PM by News Staff

WASHINGTON (AP) - An Egyptian-American who had been sentenced to life in prison in Egypt and had been on a hunger strike for more than a year before being freed has arrived back in the United States.

The Washington Post reports that Mohammed Soltan, the son of a prominent member of the now-outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, arrived Saturday night at Dulles International Airport. It said he was greeted with tears and hugs.

Soltan had been convicted of financing an anti-government sit-in and spreading "false news," one of thousands imprisoned after the 2013 military overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

The 27-year-old Ohio State University graduate and former Barack Obama campaigner had been on a hunger strike over his detention of more than 14 months, and his family said his health was deteriorating.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Most Popular