Jul 16, 2015 1:17 PM by News Staff
A man has been transferred to the UC Davis burn center after suffering severe injuries in a fire at Kent's Meat Market in Redding Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion and vehicle fire at the market on Airport Road around 5 p.m. When crews arrived a pickup truck was fully engulfed and flames were spreading to an adjacent propane dispensing station.
Firefighters acted quick and put the flames out before they could reached a large propane storage unit. Additionally, damage to the market was minimal.
The fire destroyed a pickup and attached utility trailer, damaged the canopy and fuel pump of the propane dispensing station and burned the corner of the grocery store.
The driver of the pickup, a 33-year-old man, was standing next to a 25 gallon propane tank. The tank became involved in fire and the man suffered serious injuries and is being treated at the UC Davis Burn Center, his condition is unknown.
Investigators say the fire broke out due to propane gas vapor being ignited by static electricity.
2 days ago