Court rejects lawsuit by kidnapping survivor Jaycee Dugard

Mar 15, 2016 9:52 PM by Staff

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - An appeals court says the U.S. government cannot be held responsible for the 1991 abduction of Jaycee Dugard, who was held by a federal parolee for 18 years.

Dugard had sued, alleging that federal officials should have revoked the man's parole prior to her kidnapping. Phillip Garrido had been convicted of a previous rape and abduction.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Tuesday that Dugard wasn't Garrido's victim at the time he was placed under federal supervision. The court said U.S. authorities only have a duty to protect victims of parolees under their supervision.

Dugard was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, in South Lake Tahoe, California. She was 11 years old at the time and was abducted from a street while she was walking from home to a school bus stop. Searches began immediately after Dugard's disappearance, but no reliable leads were generated. Dugard later remained missing up until 2009, when a convicted sex offender, Garrido, visited the campus of UC Berkeley accompanied by two girls on August 24 and 25 that same year. Their unusual behavior sparked an investigation that led Garrido's parole officer to order him to bring the girls to a parole office on August 26, accompanied by a young woman who was successfully identified as Dugard herself. She had been repeatedly raped.

A message for Dugard's attorney, Dale Kinsella, wasn't immediately returned.


Most Popular