Clover Fire suspect in court for preliminary hearing

Oct 1, 2014 6:59 PM by News Staff

The man accused of intentionally setting the Clover Fire which burned over 8,000 acres, destroyed 68 homes and left one men dead in Shasta County last year will be held for trial on murder and arson charges a Shasta County judge said Wednesday following a preliminary hearing.

29-year-old Zane Peterson was arrested in his Happy Valley home in September 2013 for allegedly starting several fires, including the Clover Fire, that killed 56-year-old Igo resident Brian Henry.

Peterson has plead not guilty to all charges, including murder.

In court Wednesday details emerged about surveillance cameras and tracking devices used by investigators to identify Peterson as a suspect.

Seven Cal Fire officials were called to testify, all claiming their evidence points to Peterson as the arsonist responsible for not only the Clover Fire, but a series of fires before and after the September 2013 Shasta County blaze.

Peterson's attorney said a lot of the evidence presented by the prosecution still needs more investigation.

Peterson will be arraigned on October 10.


Most Popular